Thursday, March 11, 2010

Aunt Terry's Visit & A Tornado!

Aunt Terry came to spoil visit me this weekend. We had so much fun! She arrived on her birthday (March 4th) which just so happened to be the same day as Amarillo's Restaurant Roundup. The illustrious Chef Bud was the MC and gave us a shout out in the audience which resulted in a free drink for the birthday girl! The next night was the Special Olympics basketball game, where Channel 4 & other folks from the media were schooled by some pretty special basketball players. Then we had a night on the town and ended up salsa dancing! 


Saturday we took a trip to the Palo Duro and she fell in love as quickly as I did the first time I saw it. We tried to go horse back riding, but long story short, we weren't able to. I had a great time with her and honestly miss her already. Our conversations were those you can't really carry out on the telephone and made me feel truly reconnected to her. 

We woke up a bit nervous Monday (March 8th) for her flight out of town. She was a sport and got up with me at 2:30am and came to the studio to watch Today in Amarillo live. A slight chance of severe weather was threatening the far northeastern portion of our viewing area, but she got out without a hitch.

Later on that day Jason Boggs, our KAMR storm chaser who I will be joining this year, got some excellent footage of a tornado in Western Oklahoma north of Elk City.  
This is our first taste of severe weather this season, I'm so excited! Because this is an El Nino year we are anticipating an active severe storm season. 

An above average season for my first year of chasing matches my extreme track record. Back in 2005, my freshmen year in Miami studying meteorology, we had a very active tropical storm season as well. In fact, Hurricane Wilma hit Miami on my birthday (Oct 24th) shutting down the town for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment